NDSU Extension offers Farmers Market Food Navigator Bundles!
from NDSU Extension
When farmers markets accept SNAP benefits, fresh, locally-produced foods are made available to all community members. SNAP acceptance at farmers markets improves affordability and helps individuals and families stretch their food dollars. For some, farmers markets can be a new environment offering unfamiliar foods, and understanding how SNAP benefits can be redeemed may be unclear. The Farmers Market Food Navigator program can help by:
- Building SNAP customer confidence when talking with farmers
- Helping SNAP customers select produce
- Informing SNAP customers how to utilize SNAP at farmers markets
- Exposing SNAP customers to new foods
NDSU Extensin SNAP-Ed provides nutrition resources, healthy recipe tastings, and increases knowledge and awareness of using food assistance benefits at farmers markets.
The Farmers Market Food Navigator kit includes:
- Canvas apron with food navigator branding
- ‘SNAP Accepted Here’ table top banner
- Farmers Market Food Navigator Playbook, including technical assistance for educators, farmers markets, and/or community partners
When implementing the Farmers Market Food Navigator program, opportunities will be created to build partnerships with community-based organizations to raise awareness and increase use of SNAP benefits at farmers markets.
For more information, contact your local county Extension office or firstname.lastname@example.org